Please carefully review the job description below, or click here to download the job description.
If this is a position that appears to be a good fit, we welcome you to apply by downloading the application at the bottom of the description. Please upload three documents with your first and last name in each file: a resume, a cover letter, and the complete application.
Tidal Vision is committed to diversity and inclusion for all employees. This is a learning process that involves examining our own habituated ways of working and shifting to ways of working that will not only attract but also sustain engagement and employment based regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran, uniformed service member. Achieving equity is our goal. We invite all who are willing to join in our commitment to apply and help shape our ongoing efforts.
JOB TITLE: Formulation Chemist
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
WORKS WITH: Technical Business Development Team
STATUS: Exempt, salary
This position is responsible for working with the technical business development team and CEO on continuously strategizing, researching, and developing ways of improving the company’s current product formulations. They are responsible for developing new product formulations in the laboratory to help advance the company’s mission of making chitosan solutions lower cost, easier to use, and better performing for both our current and new customers in the agriculture, textile, and water treatment industries.
This position will report to the CEO and technical business development team, will receive input from the sales team, and will consult with the production team for input. They will also inform and support the production team lead to assist in the transition from lab-scale, pilot, to full-scale production and launch of new products and related supply chain considerations.
This position will join a team that values innovation, encourages new ideas, and is committed to continuously improving our chitosan product offerings for our target markets.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with business development team to deeply understand what customer needs and wants are, and how to clarify with the customer if more information is necessary – then strategize on potential options to functionalize chitosan to further enhance performance, costs, and/or make more convenient for that customer and their application – all while taking into account production team safety and other considerations.
- Strategize on different possible ways to functionalize our products from performance, cost, environmental, safety and production operation standpoints – and prioritize potential options, efforts, and objectives in an organized framework that can be communicated with the business development team.
- Demonstrate good communication skills when joining the business development team on calls and conversations with potential customers to clarify and strategize on the needs, wants, options and challenges for that specific market / customer opportunity.
- Map out plans, strategies and objectives at the start of formulation development efforts at a lab scale.
- Set up both in-house and outsourced tests and trials, both standard or non-standard tests, to test product(s) performance in a manner that most closely represents the target customer’s application.
- Produce a range of samples for new customers and leads to try, strategically mapped out with technical business development team to increase the chance of the new customer’s success.
- Perform initial unit costs analysis, and provide reports with high-level range of unit cost targets and production considerations.
- Collect, organize and present data and data-driven options and opportunities to the business development team.
- Prepare solutions by weighing ingredients and dissolving and diluting substances.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative experiments taking into account the volume and structure of ingredients.
- Customize formulas and use different reagents to test chemical reactions.
- Write technical reports of the test results and lessons learned.
- Develop nonstandard tests for chemical products QA and performance testing.
- Maintain lab equipment and troubleshoot or report on malfunctions.
- Ensure compliance with laboratory health and safety guidelines.
- Sterilize equipment and store materials in secure places.
- Maintain clean, organized work area at all times.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attends staff meetings, training or other company events as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the CEO and technical business development team.
Education & Experience:
- BS in Chemistry or similar field with 3 or more years experience as a product formulation or application R&D chemist, ideally for a private company. Or 5+ years experience, with a successful track record of developing and bringing chemistry products to market that solve market needs.
- Hands on experience with a wide range of lab equipment, instruments and techniques.
- Strong cultural competence and/or experience or understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion, and or non-violent conflict resolution skills for a professional setting are a plus.
Skills and Ability:
- Knowledge of laboratory health and safety standards.
- Excellent analytical, research and process documentation skills.
- Excellent data collection, organization, and reference skills.
Licensing & Special Requirements
- Incumbent is subject to a background check.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Most of work is performed in an office and laboratory setting but will require occasional travel outside the office. May require sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move throughout the lab and office to interact with employees. Position requires hand manipulative skills for lab work, word processing, and writing. Must be able to hear verbal conversations over the phone and in-person with background noise. Must be able to consistently identify objects and persons at a distance and read fine print on various forms. May handle hazardous chemicals and materials.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.